‘What exactly is self-care?’ is probably something that has been googled a lot. Self-care is the latest ‘thing’ that we should all be doing. So, what exactly is self-care and how do we do it?
For me, self-care is about looking after myself mentally as well as physically. It’s making time to focus on me. This could be anything from 5 minutes to a whole day – there is no correct amount of time. I’m a much better human when I practise self-care.
I know this is a cliché but it’s true. If you keep giving to others without taking care of yourself then you’ll burn out. You’re no use to anyone then!
I have a list of things I like to do for my self-care, the main ones are:
- Go on a date with myself – usually a cuppa somewhere new or to the cinema
- Watch a chick flick – this could be at the cinema or at home with Netflix
- Read a book – usually a chick lit type book, something that’s easy reading
- Do a crossword – I’m not very good at them but I still give it a go!
- Go for a hike with my dog, Winston
- Do some colouring – I usually listen to a podcast or audiobook at the same time
Other suggestions for self-care are:
- Food prep – eating properly really helps so taking time to prep your food for the next day stops the morning chaos
- Putting on your favourite PJs
- Allow yourself to skip the gym/run/other now and again without feeling guilty
- Have an early night – sleep is so important and I love it
- Go for a walk at the beach
- Find a new hobby or restart one that you used to love
- Turn your music up and dance around your living room
- Write someone a letter
- Have a massage
- Learn something new
- Take a bath
- Build something with Lego
- Paint or do something creative
- Play a computer game
It can be hard to build self-care into your busy life especially when you have more than yourself to think about. It makes it easier when you create a habit, like brushing your teeth or having a shower. You make time for those every day so why not self-care?
The busier you are, the more important making time for your self-care is. Show yourself a bit of love.
If you have any other self-care suggestions then I’d love to hear from you